The Rescue By C. A. Powell in collaboration with Jeff Bounds and Fred Jackson
Memorial Day, May 30th, 1969  B Troop (Dutchmasters)   7th Armored Squadron, 1st Air Cavalry, Vinh Long Air Base, Republic of Vietnam

Most combat units were in a Memorial Day stand-down. B Troop  scheduled one visual recon along the Vietnam/Cambodia border. The preflight
briefing included an intelligence report suggesting minimal enemy activity because they were in observance of Ho Chi Minh’s birthday.


Scout and weapons platoons, commonly called a Hunter/Killer team, would conduct the recon. The team consisted of 2 OH-6A Light Observation
Helicopters (Loaches), and 2 AH-1 gunships (Cobras).

The Scout’s normal mission was to fly low and slow, draw enemy fire, and then mark the contact with red smoke.  Cobra Gunships would then roll in with high-speed dives, saturating the target area with lethal fire both covering the  rapid exit of the Loaches and hopefully killing the enemy.


Loaches were lightly armed with a port (left) side mounted six-barrel 7.62mm minigun, which was capable of a cyclic rate of fire of either 2,000 or  4,000 rounds per minute, as well as various grenades, and the observer’s CAR  15  a modified M-16.  Cobras carried a full weapons array, including chin  turret mounted 7.62 mini-gun, or a 40mm grenade launcher, and a mix of aerial  rockets, that could include fleshetts, HE (high explosive), or willi-peet (white  phosphorous) with either PD (point detonating) or VT (proximity detonating,  fuses.


The team’s mission that day was to report any enemy movement or  buildup, after which they would return to base for an afternoon of R&R, a time to  kick back and enjoy a few beers with the rest of the guys.

Warrant Officer Fred Jackson, whom everyone called Jack, readied his  Loach, doing his pre-flight check. Though only in country 4 months, Jack had  earned respect as a proficient scout pilot whose diligence was appreciated by others who flew missions with him. His observer that day was SP4 Craig Myers.  They often paired together because not only was Craig an excellent observer,  but he was also the OH-6’s crewchief, and he cared for the Loach as though it  were his own.

In the other Loach 1Lt. Jeff Bounds, the Scout fire team leader, and SP4  Vinnie Costello* as his observer, readied their aircraft. Along with their observers,  Jeff and Jack had developed firm friendships, and respect for each other’s  abilities. Their mutual admiration was further honed as they frequently worked  combat missions together.

On the Weapons half of the team was 1Lt. Roy Sudeck, the Cobra fire  team’s leader. Sudeck’s “front seat” was handling map reading duties and  guiding the scouts from above.

The border recon included, among other areas, the “Parrot’s Beak” (an  area of Cambodia that juts into South Vietnam west of Saigon and north of the  Mekong River). This area was always difficult to work because the irregular  border had few distinguishing landmarks.


The mission began with the Loaches dropping ‘down on the deck,’ flying  low and slow, looking for anything that would suggest suspicious ground activity.  The Cobras stationed themselves at altitude, out of range of any small arms fire,  while directing the scout ships in their search.

Unknowingly, the scouts crossed over the border into Cambodia by about  2 clicks (kilometers). Unaware of the misdirection they had taken, they came  upon a small village adjacent to a dense wood line. As they overflew its southern  perimeter, both Scouts noted that there were a number of young, military aged men, and it was the largest concentration either had ever seen. Their movements  were not so unusual as to draw immediate alarm, but their presence suggested further investigation.

After receiving confirmation (later discovered inaccurate) that they were on  the Vietnam side of the border, the scouts were given permission to overfly it  again. This time there was more activity within the village. Jack called over the  radio, reporting that he had seen something – possibly a weapon.

A C&C (Command and Control) Huey had the immediate responsibility of  the Hunter/Killer team, but it was on the ground at Bac Chien. The questionable  ground activity and possible weapon sighting were relayed by having Roy’s  wingman climb to altitude to the 7/1 Squadron TOC (Tactical Operations Center),  who passed it up to the 164th Group HQ. Shortly thereafter, the Scouts were  instructed to do a third go around and verify the sighting.


Jeff Bounds later said that this was a major mistake and was probably one  of the worst orders he had ever been given. They had followed the pre-flight  briefing orders, had observed and reported, and had not made any  engagements. A Hunter/Killer team, although a formidable force, couldn’t carry a  fight very far with no backup and only four aircraft. Both Scout pilots had that  uneasy feeling learned from hours of scouting; their instincts told them this was a  mistake.  They both radioed their concerns, and then reluctantly went ahead with  the go around.  Despite their apprehensions, orders were orders.

The third and final pass began. With Jeff as the lead ship, and Jack on his  wing, they picked up ground speed, flying fast and low, as speed was always the  best ally in this sort of situation.

On returning, they found the village and surrounding area eerily quiet, and  still. Jeff spotted a man who was crouched close to the ground, facing down, as  though praying. Requesting cover from his wing ship, Jeff slowed down in front of the man to see what was going on. The man suddenly looked up in the direction of the approaching Loach and drew an AK 47 from under his body. Jeff  decelerated, hit the pedal, and turned Vinnie, who was an excellent shot, toward  the man. Vinnie, armed with a CAR-15, let out a few quick and accurate rounds,  neutralizing the enemy soldier.

All hell broke loose. The village, and nearby wood line, exploded with  enemy troops firing 50’s, 30’s, and all the small arms they had. None of the  scouts had even been under such intense fire. It was the largest group of enemy  military personnel that any of them had ever seen. Later intelligence reports  revealed that this concentration of enemy troops was part of a 9th Division, NVA  [North Vietnamese Army] buildup, massing for cross-border infiltration.

Both pilots called in receiving hits to their aircraft as they pulled all the  collective they could get, slammed the cyclic to the forward stop, and tried to  build airspeed.  Jack triggered his mini gun with streams of suppressive fire as he  provided cover for Jeff’s escape. With no shortage of targets, he was firing at  anything that moved.

On the way out Jeff heard the words a pilot never wants to hear.  “Jack’s  down, Jack’s down,” Vinnie shouted.


Jack had been hit. A round had entered his left thigh, shattering his hip,  and then taking out much of his left buttock. Craig attempted to take control of  the aircraft, but the ship took more hits and headed into the ground, bouncing  several times after the initial impact, finally coming to rest on it’s left side with the  blades digging in and disintegrated with ground contact.

Meanwhile, Jeff wasted no time positioning himself to rescue the downed  crew, it was what a pilot did, and it required no second thoughts, just action. Get his buddies out no matter what the risk. Vinnie pointed out that enemy troops  were moving toward the downed helicopter.

The gunships sealed off the downed aircraft in a ring of mini-gun and  rocket fire to keep the enemy troops at bay. Jeff asked for a brief cease-fire so he  could get in close to Jack’s Loach. Roy Sudeck’s fire team gave him the window  he needed, and he settled into a hover near Jack’s aircraft; firing on the  converging NVA troops with his mini gun, spitting out 4000 rounds a minute.


Just as Jeff’s mini gun jammed, an enemy soldier popped up out of a  spider hole a few meters in front of them and opened fire with an AK 47. Jeff’s  only option was to drop down rapidly, try to avoid the bullets, and get Jack and  Craig out of there. Just as the enemy solder fired a full AK clip above Jeff and  Vinnie’s heads and through the doghouse, control assemblies, and upper  bubbles, Jeff’s Loach took a hard bounce, sending the frag grenades that they  kept between the seats into the air, almost to eye level.

Jeff struggle to keep his six foot one inch frame behind his chicken plate  resulted in a permanent back injury that was to flare up later and stay with him  through the rest of his life. At the time, though, his back injury, like the small  splintering shrapnel wounds he sustained, went unnoticed.

The enemy soldier who had been shooting at Jeff and Vinnie disappeared  in a hail of fire from the gunships above. In the downed aircraft, which had rolled  hard to the left, Craig figured that he’d never be able to pull Jack up and out of  the right doorway, which was now above him. Craig took his CAR-15 and blew  out the bubble, scaring the hell out of Jeff and Vinnie, who had landed close by.

Precious seconds passed as Craig, covered with blood and debris,  fumbled to locate Jack’s seat belt. Finding it, he pulled the release, and Jack fell
into his arms.

Vinnie didn’t hesitate. He leapt from the Loach and ran to help Craig pull  Jack through the blown bubble. Together the men carried and dragged Jack to  Jeff’s aircraft. Despite protests to hurry and get on board, Craig returned to the  downed Loach and retrieved the radio and assorted personal equipment, keeping  it from falling into enemy hands. Throwing what he had retrieved in the back seat  of the Loach, Craig climbed into the aircraft and put his arm around his pilot to  secure him for the escape.

Jeff prepared to lift off.  Between the numbers of hits his Loach sustained,  added to the hard landing, and the additional weight of two passengers,  he had  good reasons to worry that it might not fly.


With gunships providing cover, by a miracle, the Loach lifted off. Jeff’s  objective now was to return to base with everyone still intact. Flying no higher  that 100 feet above the ground, he milked as much speed as possible from the  aircraft by holding the TOT [turbine outlet temperature] up to the redline and then  dropping it back for a few seconds as per the operating limitations of the aircraft,  nailing the air speed at nearly 130 knots for the 45 minutes return trip to Vinh  Long.

Jack was in excruciating pain and bleeding profusely.  Vinnie got both  Craig and Jack’s helmet jacks plugged into the intercom system, and Craig told  Vinnie that they needed to find something to stop Jack’s bleeding.  Vinnie  struggled to release the First Aid kit. When he finally got it open, he frantically  dug through it. Finally, at the bottom of the box, he found a gauze pad that was  big enough to apply pressure to wound. Jack’s left leg, attached only by muscle  and tissue, bounced and was twisted by his position in the aircraft.

Craig worried that his friend might die. Stopping the bleeding was almost  impossible, Jack’s face was ghostly pale, and he kept loosing consciousness.  The forty-five-minute flight seemed infinitely longer.

Jeff radioed Vinh Long Tower (Air Traffic Control) that they had a medical  emergency and needed clearance for a straight-in approach. ATC cleared all air  and runway traffic and vectored the surviving Loach to the medical pad. When they set down, Craig stayed with Jack as the medics transferred him to a waiting  Medevac to be airlifted to the nearest MASH unit in Binh Thuy.

Jeff and Vinnie took their damaged aircraft to the Loach revetments, threw  all their gear in, did a quick preflight on another aircraft, and returned to the crash  site. In the area adjacent to the village, a large number of solders were picking  through the remains of the Loach, while many more were scattered throughout  the area, apparently tending to their casualties. The Cobras were orbiting several  clicks from the crash site and Jeff queried Roy as to why they weren’t firing on  the enemy troops when word came over the radio that they had inadvertently
crossed the border into Cambodia.

There would be no recovery of the downed Loach and Jeff was ordered to  remain clear. They couldn’t even blow the aircraft in place! Jeff prayed that the  mini-gun on Fred’s aircraft had been rendered inoperable in the crash. He didn’t  want it shooting at him, or anyone else, some day in the future.

Returning to base, Jeff and Vinnie learned that Jack was out of surgery,  stabilized, but in critical condition. The OH-6A that had brought all four back  safely was signed off as unsalvageable with over 130 bullet holes in it – virtually  every critical component other than the engine and the transmissions had  sustained such damage that any of them alone would have rendered it unflyable!  A crew chief gave Jeff one of the bell cranks that had a bullet hole completely  through it. He still has it today.

WO1 Fred Jackson was to spend the next 3 years in various hospitals,  ending up at Walson Army Hospital at Ft. Dix, NJ. For the first year he was in a  full body cast. Over the next two years he had multiple surgeries to enable him to  walk again. He was awarded the Air Medal for Heroism.


Observers, Craig Myers and Vinnie Costello* were also awarded the Air  Medal With “V” For Heroism. Jeff Bounds and Roy Sudeck received the
Distinguished Flying Cross for their part in this rescue. A day that was to have  been uneventful would forever impact the lives of those who participated in the  rescue mission.

Fred Jackson, (Jack) was medically retired from the Army. He now owns  an organic citrus grove in Florida, where he lives with his wife and children. Jeff  Bounds is a retired FAA Air Traffic Controller, and resides in Salisbury, Maryland  with his wife. Both men are grandfathers. This article has been written for the  children and grandchildren of all these men so they will know of their father’s, or  grandfather’s, contributions that day when bravery and loyalty saved two lives.

*Note: The name “Costello” is fictitious, as Vinnie’s real last name is unknown. The authors would welcome  information about Vinnie, Craig, or any of the other participants.

This story originally published on “Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association” website  (Copyright © May 30 __, 2001, C. A. Powel)  For more stories about helicopter pilots, please visit the website:

Thank you, sir, for your service and Welcome Home!

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Should you have a question or comment about this article, then scroll down to the comment section below to leave your response.

If you want to learn more about the Vietnam War and its Warriors, then subscribe to this blog and get notified by email or your feed reader every time a new story, picture, video or changes occur on this website – the button is located at the top right of this page.

I’ve also created a poll to help identify my website audience – before leaving, can you please click HERE and choose the one item best describing you. Thank you in advance!